Click The Image To Go To The New Site

December 1, 2010

THE GROUNDHOG DAY (1993)

First time I watch Bill Murray was on 'Ghostbuster' (I love the comic, addicted to them when I was a kid). But I didn't realize until now it was the same guy I watched in 'Lost In Translation' and 'GroundHog Day'. But I gotta say GroundHog Day might be his best role I ever watched. The movie gave a very deep beautiful life lessons I might ever watch in a comedy movie. I'll tell you why.

Bill Murray plays Phil Connors, a famous weather reporter in a network. Every year he covers a report of 'GroundHog Day' (a holiday celebrated on February 2 in the United States and Canada. According to folklore, if it is cloudy when a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day, it will leave the burrow, signifying that winter will soon end. If on the other hand, it is sunny, the groundhog will supposedly "see its shadow" and retreat back into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks - wikipedia).

So he went to the biggest celebration of the day in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, with Larry the cameraman and Rita (Andie McDowell) the producer. Phil hated the job, mostly because he's been doing the work for years and it becomes too predictable, and that he feels he's too 'big' (as a senior reporter) to do it. But because of the blizzard, he and the team are forced to go back to the city and ends up living the same day over and over again.


If tomorrow never comes.... what would you do? Phil tries everything. Rob a bank, suicide, get to know a girl, hitting a girl and get slapped a thousand time. It all comes back to you.

I read that the original script, Phil get stuck in the same day for 10 years, which I thought it would be more serious than just a comedy. I think if they would do that anyway, the movie could be more eligible for Oscars.

This movie get a rave reviews in almost every media. I my self are intrigued with this movie because a friend recommend it, and I'm glad I watch this movie. It's not just a comedy, a love story, but also have a philosophical lesson in it. I definitely recommend this movie to all of you readers.

Here's the life lessons I get in this move :

  • Sometimes when you do things too often, you get numb and stop appreciating what you do have. You could sit back and enjoy the good things you receive in your life, cherish it and make your life more meaningful, while reaching your next goal.
  • You gotta stay hopeful. If you hope and focus to a positive event in the future, your whole life energy would automatically be positive.
  • Live your life to the fullest. You never know when it will end. You never know what happens next. So best to be in the greatest yourself in your life. Don't hold back the excitement you are looking for.
  • Karma exist. Every little thing you do, comes back to you. One small favor you do will comes back to you also in a good form. So with greed and lust, frustration, will lead you to somewhat another negative effect.
  • Appeciate your life, with all you have now. The past is in the past, and what counts is what you do next. You've got to let go of your past and start over.
  • Might be sound so cliche, life would mean so much more if you share it with others. This means being needed to someone in a positive way. Give more, and you will get more. 
  • Be sincere with others, because genuine feelings are the most acceptable, honest, kindest attitude. And the result from being sincere, is almost definitely be good.

One great fact I read in wikipedia :

Groundhog Day has been considered a tale of self-improvement which emphasizes the need to look inside oneself and realize that the only satisfaction in life comes from turning outward and concerning oneself with others rather than concentrating solely on one's own wants and desires. The phrase also has become a shorthand illustration for the concept of spiritual transcendence. As such, the film has become a favorite of Buddhists because they see its themes of selflessness and rebirth as a reflection of their own spiritual messages. It has also, in the Catholic tradition, been seen as a representation of Purgatory. It has even been dubbed by some religious leaders as the "most spiritual film of our time."


If you do watch this after you read my review, please come back and give me your opinions :)




2 comments:

Chris said...

Yes I agree, highly recommended comedy, I especially thought the old friend Ned was funny.

Only thing I don't like is the ending. She doesn't seem to like his real self(she keeps rejecting him). But only likes him when he is sweet-talking her.

But she does bring out the best in him, so that is a good thing. I think the ending is confusing. The message that you can change to a better person is good.

Andina said...

Yeah it's a really great movie, thanks for recommending this.

I know, she does like him in a perfect package. She might make him to be a better person, but I hope he still be himself.

This probably the best comedy with a great message, after 'Yes Man'